Summer is the season for spontaneous beach trips, exotic sight-seeing, and cozy family reunions. The constant fun can make it easy to forget about housekeeping, but poor decisions can transport you from a dream vacation to a dirty living space at a dizzying speed. To keep the good vibes flowing long after returning home, complete the following checklist before leaving your apartment for vacation.
- Take out the trash. Before leaving your apartment, empty every trash can you have. A bug infestation (or horrible smell) can put a quick end to your post-vacation glow.
- Throw out all perishable food. Remember that food that seems okay before a vacation can quickly spoil in your absence. Throw it out before it becomes a mess to clean.
- Unplug all electronics. Save money and energy by unplugging devices that no one will use while you’re gone.
- Adjust your air-conditioner. Raising the thermostat by five degrees can make a big difference in your bill while keeping your space at a tolerable temperature.
- Lock your door. This safety tip is easy to forget but crucial to preventing regrettable incidents.
- Take care of wet clothes. Make sure you don’t leave any wet clothes in your washer or dryer. Better yet, go ahead and fold your laundry and put it away. No one likes coming home from a vacation to a heap of wrinkly clothes.
- Freshen up toilets and sinks. Sprinkle baking soda into your toilet and down the drains in your sink. The solution will prevent bad odors and keep the water fresh.
- Wash dirty dishes. Crusty, dry food can be almost impossible to scrub off after sitting for days. Also, insects love meal scraps so clean up to avoid an infestation.
- Turn off lights. This tip saves energy, and there is no reason to keep lights on if no one is going to use them.
- Water house plants. Give your plants a healthy watering before leaving on a trip. If you travel often, consider purchasing a drip device that slowly releases water into the soil.
- Plan for pets. Ask a friend to watch your pets while you are away or sign them up to be boarded. Make sure to clearly explain feeding habits and bathroom breaks. Center Pointe has also partnered with Wag!, the top dog walking, sitting, and boarding app in the country, so take advantage of this new amenity during your next vacation!
By following these tips before leaving your apartment for vacation, your home will be a place you are happy to return to after every trip.
Live in the center of it all at Center Pointe! Located in Waldorf, MD, our residents have easy access to shopping, entertainment, and great schools. Reach out to us today to schedule a tour and see why we are a Top Rated apartment community on ApartmentRatings!