This year, National Cat Day will be celebrated on October 29th. We have a lot of cat lovers and feline tenants at Center Pointe Apartments, so we thought now is the purrr-fect time to shed some fur — I mean, light! — on this holiday.
National Cat Day was founded in 2005 to increase awareness about homeless cats. Its two goals are to celebrate cats for the joy they bring to their owners and to encourage people to adopt rescued cats. The holiday was founded by Colleen Paige and is supported by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
If all this information has you raising your whiskers, here are some suggestions on how to celebrate National Cat Day.
- Adopt a cat. There are thousands of cats in need of a loving home, and studies have shown that owning a pet can be emotionally and physically beneficial for its owner. If you do choose to adopt a cat, recognize the seriousness of the responsibility. You will have to feed the cat, play with it, clean up after it, and take it to regular check-ups to keep it healthy.
- If you already have a cat, buy it a gift! Surprise your cat with a tasty snack or new toy. Your cat will trust you more, and your relationship with it will strengthen.
- Dress up as a cat for Halloween. Animal costumes are timeless. Purchase (or make) some cat ears, paint on a nose and some whiskers, and put on a furry outfit.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter. If you’re not yet ready to adopt a cat, you can still be a part of the process. Call your local animal shelter and ask them if they need a volunteer to come in and play with, feed, or clean the living spaces of the cats. Who knows? You may end up taking one home.
- Throw a National Cat Day party. If you have friends who are cat owners, organize a pet play date. Everyone can bring their cat (perhaps dressed up in little costumes) and then share a cat decorated cake afterwards. Bonus points if the cats get treats too and attendees donate to the local animal shelter.
Have a great National Cat Day!
At Center Pointe, we love providing our residents with helpful information to help them manage their busy lives. Our residents have easy access to shopping, entertainment, and great schools. Reach out to us today to schedule a tour and see why we are a Top Rated apartment community on ApartmentRatings!