Candles provide a warm, gentle glow and fill your space with delicious scents of apple cinnamon, hazelnut, and lavender. But along with candles comes great responsibility. Candles left unattended can unexpectedly be toppled by your cat or swiped off the coffee table by your dog’s happily wagging tail. Even if you don’t have pets, irresponsible use of candles can lead to disaster. Center Pointe — and all of Grady Management’s properties — encourages guests to use candles responsibly! This blog addresses how to enjoy candles without jeopardizing you and your neighbors’ safety.
Should you decide to use traditional candles, here are some precautions you MUST take.
Advice from the National Candle Association:
- Never leave a burning candle out of sight. This also means never ever leaving the apartment with candles burning, even if it’s just a quick trip to the mailbox.
- Trim the candle’s wick to ¼ of an inch every time before lighting it.
- Throw the candle out when only 2 inches of wax remain, or a ½ inch when in a container.
- Don’t burn candles near anything that could potentially catch fire like curtains, bedding, flammable decorations, etc.
- Keep candles out of reach of animals and children.
We also suggest that you set a timer on your phone for an hour or two. That way, in case you do forget and go to a different room, you will eventually remember to extinguish it.
Candles offer a soothing alternative to harsh overhead lights and are part of the hygge lifestyle described in our sister property’s blog post. However, if you choose to use candles in apartments managed by Grady Management, you must take all proper precautions.
Looking for affordable apartments in Waldorf, Maryland? Live in the center of it all at Center Pointe. We love providing our residents with helpful information to help them manage their busy lives. Our residents have easy access to shopping, entertainment, and great schools. Reach out to us today to schedule a tour and see why we are a Top Rated apartment community on ApartmentRatings!